Aligning curriculum to the Delaware Content Standards
Recognizing the need to make the content standards accessible to all students, the Delaware Department of Education in collaboration with the University of Delaware’s Center for Disabilities Studies created the Grade Band Extensions and accompanying Companion Guide. These resources were developed to assist educators in providing access to the general education curriculum in order to improve educational and achievement outcomes for students with significant intellectual disabilities.
Delaware Content Standards Grade Band Extensions (GBEs)
- Three levels of extensions from highest to lowest complexity. Extensions are meant to provide a continuum of entry points to core content areas.
- The extensions should be used in conjunction with the Delaware Content Standards. Visit the Delaware Department of Education website for information on Standards and Instruction.
To view the GBE’s by grade band, click on the content area and grade band below:
Companion guides assist in navigating the GBEs. Use the guides for:
- Selecting content standards and associated GBEs
- Developing lessons that provide access to the general education curriculum
- Essential standards that are critical for student success are highlighted
- Examples provided for embedding additional skills/concepts into instruction
- Ideas for possible accommodations that can be used to support students based on individual need
- Real life application examples provided to aid in the generalization of skills
Grade Band Extensions Companion Guide – ELA & Math